Monday, April 21, 2008

Time is a funny thing- review of the time capsules

First let me state how happy I am that some of you took me up on the challenge I presented to you all last week. It was the first time that I had actually done that and I was curious to see the turn out. It seems that a few of you did exactly that, here are some examples:

Eric:
"I'm a photographer, so film and my pictures are important to me. I took old containers and filled them with copied negatives of my favorite pictures and trinkets. I put them in one shoe box and buried it the park. I don't think anyone will dig it up, but even if they do. It'll be a time capsule of a moment in my life."


Mark:
"I had a bad break up. Actually I had several. So I made this. It's buried in my grandmother's attic. I'll pull it out at some point".


Pamina:
"I always liked my childhood. Remembering what made me happy."

Rachel:
"I didn't take any pictures of my time capsule but i put in it all the things that reminded me of high school. I hated that place. Maybe when I'm ready I'll go back and open it up. For the meantime, it's better off in the cow pastures"

Laura:
"We had just moved into a new (but old) house. My husband and I wanted to remove the linoleum flooring (which was ugly) and put down some carpet. When we started pulling it up we found perfectly preserved newspapers from the 1960's. We didn't want to disturb it, since they were originals. So we put down some of the newspaper headlines that we had lying around the house and did a shoddy job of re carpeting that area. We have a note for when we move out for the next family that lives here. It explains why we did such a bad job"



Sarah:
(no description)


Greg:
"I found these in my grandfather's basement when he died. They're old and past their expiration date. But I figure it'd be a good idea to keep them. It has fond memories attached to it"


Megeen:
"-always pads (hopefully in the future it'll be better for us girls)
-my play pearls from childhood.
-a letter to the person that opens it
-girl scout cookies (they'll rot away)
-a picture of the pope
-a recipe for brownies
-a picture of my hometown"

Tallayah:
"I didn't really have anything that I was willing to put into a time capsule. But I remembered that you said it could be for anything important to show change and how I was then. So I took a picture of me at that moment holding my dog. Put it in an envelope and hid it away. When I look back. I'll remember what was important."
Fatima:
"-rope
-a piece of a sail
-sand from my favorite beach
-a small shell
-a piece of a floaty
-a picture of my family fishing
-a picture of my home town on the coast of morocco. "
Mori:
" I filled up a chest full of my grandmother's things. I intend to wear them when I am old"
Frank:
" My wife died in childbirth, and the my baby girl died not long afterwards. This was a long time ago, back in 1953. I put everything that reminded me of her and of our times together into a box and gave it to a museum to do what they will with it. I don't know what happened, but I'd like to think that they're being saved for a time when people would like to look at back at the time when I was a young man. "

No comments: