Monday, April 21, 2008

weekend review


Good Monday! Well, at least I hope. So how was everyone's weekend? I hope you all had a wonderful time, and if you took part of the Time Capsule Challenge Hurray!! Well lets not beat about the bush, today is Monday and that means a weekend review.

Friday 4-18:
Ah Fridays. I always love it when Fridays come around. Not because it's the end of the work week (even though that is an added bonus), but it's also the beginning of a short time period where things are abuzzing. This Friday I enjoyed a very good night with a couple of friends at Le Bar, which is in the lobby of Hotel Sofitel in DC. I had been there a while back...but unfortunately...don't' remember much of the journey. They've recently remodeled it (will not too recently), and it's website describes it as "modern cocktail bar meets art deco splendour". This isn't too far from the truth, though slightly exaggerated.

We went when there weren't that many people (it fills up pretty quickly at night), and could actually enjoy each other's conversation. Of course, we ordered food, since Le Bar has a pretty good menu. The service was a bit slow, but I imagine because the people that were there were just getting off their shift and the night-time arrivals hadn't shown up yet.

Apparently they have amazing martinis, and are renowned through the entire city as the martini place. You get a choice of many, including some of their signatures like "L'Enfant"-Which if I recall was vodka, chambord, grand marnier and lemon- and "The Marquis de Rochambeau" -which is vodka, dry vermouth, anchovies and olives. I'm not a major martini fan (though I don't mind them I suppose), and I was happy with my gin and tonics.

If you plan to go to Le Bar I will have to remind you that it's not necessarily the most economical of choices. It is on the pricey side, and in my opinion a bit over priced. But it's not horrible. I was perfectly willing to pay for my own drinks and food, but thanks to gallantry (and the fact that I was called a lady), I was treated to a spectacular night of good food, good drinks and good company.

Later on that night, I went home and in my moment of "inspiration" I created my time capsule. Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera, so I had to take a picture with my regular film. I'll upload it as soon as I get them developed. I then fell asleep to some amazing jazz, and a serenade.

Saturday 4-19:
Luckily I was not feeling as bad as my friends, so when I got up, I was feeling very ginger (oh ginger and Jo...how I love you). I found my finished time capsule and decided that today was the day that I would bury it somewhere in the city. Lord knows if anyone will find it. So I trotted off downtown, hid it (in an undisclosed area) and then went to go see a movie. Danearys endorses the movie: The counterfeiters! What an amazing movie. It's about the people behind the counterfeiting of several thousands worth in various currencies during the Nazi regime. It's moving, and truly shocking...but so well done. I don't want to give away anything about it, but I encourage everyone to go see it. Warning though: Since it's a German movie, there are subtitles...but I'm telling you....GO SEE IT!

Afterwards I went out with a few friends (with less partying, but fun nonetheless) to a nice Thai restaurant. It was the last day of Thai week, and I had to take advantage of the reduced prices! Yummy! Then it was back home for some movie time.

Sunday 4-20:
The first major thunderstorm of the warmer months woke me up. The lightning was so bright that it woke me right out of a deep sleep followed by such a loud clap of thunder, that I had to cover my ears. Beautiful! I love thunderstorms, and while yes I know that several people are afraid of them, and if I were stuck out in one I wouldn't be so keen on them, but they are truly nature's reminder of power. Apparently that very storm created tornadoes up in Prince Georges county in MD. It was a laid back day and I didn't do anything rigorous. I was supposed to go out with a couple of friends to go to the earth day celebrations on the mall, but I heard that they were canceled, due to the rain. Instead we went to the grocery store, developed a challenge for each other (I'll post on that later), and munched on ice cream and raspberries while watching dorky movies. What bliss is mine!


Overall, a very busy and full weekend. But one that I would never change. what about you? what did you do?

No comments: