Monday, March 17, 2008

weekend review

I know, a lot of people missed out on carousel Friday last week. Unfortunately I was tied up and didn't get a chance to update on Friday. Anyway, the start of a new work week.

Friday 3-14:
St. Patrick's falls on a Monday this week, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the Irish celebration. I'm not Irish (in fact I don't think I have an ounce of irish blood in me), but I celebrate St. Patrick's anyway, and I was raised a catholic so the saint is very well known to me. What better way to celebrate the Irish-ness of the holiday than going to an Irish bar. I was originally invited to go to a party that was being hosted at a club...but to be honest, after work...I didn't really want to go. I wanted to sit down with friends and just talk. So I went to a traditional Irish pub, sat down for some good Irish music (called McFadden's whiskey), and drank two gin & tonics (I know the last part isn't really Irish...but I leave it that the lime was green...and therefore I was justified).

I called up a couple of my friends, and waited for them to show. Unfortunately not all of them could show up, but I was soon joined by three. We were a pretty odd looking bunch. A just-got-off-work girl (that does not have light hair or freckles), a dark handsome man of sephardic-German-french decent...that could be anything...BUT Irish, and a small Korean girl. The only one that looked like he might possibly fit in was my fellow co-9-to-5er, who is pretty white with light hair and very Anglo. You know, actually I never thought to ask him if he was Irish....he could very well be.

We talked about an entire assortment of things, ranging from car accidents to zombies. It always comforts me when someone else is as perpetually paranoid about the future zombie invasion. Brian (the "Irish") and I discussed, in depth, what the best gun to have would be in the case of invasion and where we would go if it were strike that very moment. It was a very good night.

Saturday 3-15:
What a beautiful day it was! The sun was out and bright, making it a great day for walking. So that's just what I did; I decided to walk to a Thai restaurant for lunch. Apparently I wasn't the only one with this idea because while enjoying the company I was with and eating my delicious noodles, I spotted someone out of the corner of my eye. It's amazing how your brain remembers faces and relates them to events. The "someone" turned out to be two boys I knew when I was a freshman in college. I even went on a date with one of them. I was tempted to say hi, but frankly, I realized that I didn't really care that much. We were never really good friends, and the date wasn't that great. So instead of going through awkward silences I resorted to a polite wave, and a smile...as I headed out. I know some of you would encourage me to actually go talk to them...but I really didn't feel like it. It wasn't that I disliked them, it just that I could tell by the way that they were that they hadn't changed much from college...and we wouldn't be friends anymore anyway. I settled for what suited me.

After a relaxing and wonderful day, I was invited to the "Irish-celebration-movie-night" at my friend Collin's house. We all call his house "lazy-town" because that's exactly how to describe Collin and his roommates. It was enjoyable, but I only had one drink...an everbull (everclear + red bull). That was enough to last me for the entire night. However, one of Collin's roommates had two everbulls, and a very potent beer called "Lucifer" (I hear it's really good, I've never tried it). I leave you to imagine what happened after he ate an entire bag of old fries.

Sunday 3-16:
After waking up feeling a little queasy, but not really very bad at all. "Lazy-town" embarked to an brunch at noodles and company. While I felt fine and was actually enjoying the sun. The majority of the Lazy-town residents (and guests) felt...not so cheery.

I watched several movies, and bought some nice new sheets for my bed (450 thread count for only 40! whooo-hooo!). I also baked a cake. Yummmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: