Sunday, September 20, 2009

Weekend Review



Review of the day: Polish Movie "Katyn".


I was having breakfast with my dad the other day and we started talking about Obama's recent decision to pull out of the missile program proposed for Poland. While I won't get into details about the conversation, we started talking about how the decision was announced on probably one of the worst days to announce it - the anniversary of the Soviet invasion of Poland. This is something that remains extremely prevalent in the minds of Eastern Europeans. My father and I started discussing the finer points of the situation, when he suggested that I watch the movie "Katyn".


The movie is based on the massacre of thousands of polish officers by the Soviet army after its invasion on Sept 17, 1939. It follows the lives of various individuals during this time, including two officers and their remaining family. It is an extremely moving film, and very well made.


I warn you though, if you don't like graphic images of war, you probably shouldn't watch this. It has a few scenes where you see the murders, and while not gory...it's just shocking.

No comments: