Monday, January 21, 2008

Weekend Review


Well hello my pretties!


Welcome to another week. Some of you lucky individuals don't work today; due to Martin Luther King. For the more international of you readers, there is a holiday dedicated to Marting Luther King, and some offices take the chance to honor him by freeing their repressed workers. Other people are not so lucky...no comment.


Anyway, today is weekend review day so we'll get right down to it.


It's always a good thing to connect with your family at some point in your independent life. So, after a long hard day at work on friday, I figured that instead of the usual mellow out time with monsieur pillow and madam DVD, I went directly to my parent's house and simply talked to my mother. We gossiped, talked about our lives and of course (cause you can never avoid it in my family) talked about politics. Even though I am independent of my parents now, and have lived long enough to develop my own views on various topics, I continue to learn from them. Someone once told me that having kids enriches your life. It works both ways. Honor thy mother and father, the fourth commandment calls for.


The next day was another bonding experience with the family, but of a different kind. Having just moved into my new apartment, I need furniture. We had the furniture bond. A little too early on saturday morning my mother, my sister and I drove to the IKEA store outside of the city. For those of you who don't know what the heck IKEA is, it is a swedish company that sells cheap, modern furniture. It is a newbs best friend as far as decoration (note newb= newbie). Now, even IKEA can be expensive but it's generally the right amount. Word of advice though, save up because it's actually cheaper to buy all of your stuff in one go and have it delivered at a flat rate, which is 80. Than have to buy separately and pay 80 for each delivery.


But I digress, back to bonding. There is such a thing as furniture bonding. This stems from the decoration bonding act, and is a tricky endeavor as sometimes the bonding isn't really positive. Positive bonding leads to a feeling of general love, and the idea that you are your bonding fellow's daughter/sister/whatever. Negative bonding leads to the idea that you hate the other person and that they are trying to decorate your house for you. Luckily...that has never happened with me. This was a good IKEA bonding. We arrived just as the store was opening and decided to indulge in the food that they were serving for breakfast at the time. Let me tell you, the Swedish think of everything: Swedish fish, Swedish models- Swedish breakfast for 1.99! After an hour or two of looking around I saw many things that I wanted...but that I could not yet afford all in one go. That was pretty depressing, but I did enjoy helping my mom and sister decide.


After that I cleaned up my house a bit, which really just lead to it being even MORE of a mess. In order to be organized, I realize, that you must first disorganize everything. It proved to be somewhat fruitless, so at around 9 o'clock I called a couple of friends and headed out.


Old town Alexandria is really very charming, and full of bars/restaurants/clubs. Since I was very much into jazz and blues at that moment, I went to a charming little jazz club. The food was great, the music was great...the drinks were great. I do not remember the name of the jazz club, but I'm pretty sure I could recognize the club from the outside when I go back. Immediately afterwards I went to a basement club where they were playing renditions of 80's pop. It's called 219 basement's on King street. I don't think I'll go back, simply because it was a pretty dirty, small, cramped space. At the time I didn't mind it so much, but now that I look back...it wasn't that great.


Sunday was spent recovering from a night of frivolity. I slept a bit, then went to chipotle and returned to my friend Michelle's house to play trivia pursuit till 2 am. Probably not the most sound of choices, but it's a fun game. You learn the most random of things, and even when you don't know the answer it's fun to take a guess. Most of the time for the 90's headliners we just shouted Bill Clinton if we didn't know the answer.


Now it's your turn! What did you do?

No comments: