Wednesday, January 30, 2008

How to save a rotten day

We all have them, and I'm no exception. I normally get up at around 5 am to start my day in order to squeeze in everything that I've been must for that day. It's a pain in the ass, but it seems to be working so far. However... I'm not a drill instructor and as such I don't have the discipline to be extremely repetitive. Plus...I'm not very good at constant routine. I need and enjoy change. And I've noticed that once you get a job, the next thing you'll want is a way to get out of going. All of this combined just leads to a rotten day. So how do you turn around a really rotten day? I have many things that I do when I'm feeling not like myself.

Create Mantras: yes it seems silly. But it really helps I think. It makes you feel kinda dumb and goofy, which helps when you don't want to take anything seriously anyway. For example... today, for no real reason I shouted "Left hand green!" To me that just means to let go and just have fun.

Sit in the park and people watch: you can come up with a lot of things about people. For example girls that have long and perfectly straight hair always think they're saying "I'm a classic beauty". What it really says about them is that they are really just a total snot. Or girls that wear baby pigtails. They generally think that they're saying "Oh look at me I'm so crazy cute!" Really it just says I'm just plain crazy.
Take a walk. Sometimes it's the best way to just get out of your own head when you immerse yourself in a complete crowd.

Smile insanely. I mentioned this one earlier on in the blog. I'm telling you....try it.

phone someone: call up someone that you know will always make you feel better no matter what. For me it's always been a hand full of people that just seem to know the right thing to say

Go get a hug: I'm not a very touchy feely person, but sometimes it feels good to just hug someone. This also goes for when you should just hang out with people that love you and that you love back. It's amazing how just being with them helps you out. Even if you're doing completely stupid, like drawing on each other, it's a great way to feel better.

look: Go look at things that you really like in stores and plot ways to get it.
Buy streetsense: this is a DC thing, but there are a couple of homeless guys around that sell you newspapers. It's a great idea, a non-profit called street sense prints out the newspapers, then give them to homeless people to sell. The homeless people then get to keep a portion of the credit. I love it because it employs people, and most of the homeless that sell it are really just looking to be productive while they find a way out. A lot of them are great to talk to, and they always are really pleasant. I love buying it from them...even though I honestly don't read the articles.

Go to florists shop: Sometimes just looking at green helps you to feel better. I go in and buy myself some flowers. I deserve a little love to myself

Get some good food: I tend to get a little edgy if I'm hungry. Diabetics go through the same thing (though I'm not a diabetic). Their blood sugar gets low and it swings around their mood. I find that sometimes I feel better when I just take a bite of something I really like. Today was some Kookabura Licorice...mmmmm!

Watch birds: they are so simple and just a lot of fun. They're like miniature people, and you can always tell a character from the others.

Plot: I sometimes sit in the park (even when it's freezing outside) and just sit around and plot things. Most of the time when I sit down on good days, I just plot about squirrels...how to get them drunk, how to catapult them out a yard, how to make them really really dizzy....

stretch or go take a nap: For the same reason as grabbing a bite to eat, sometimes an off balance set of emotions is because you're just really tired. I can't take a nap in my office, but if you can you should. It's healthier and will help you get through the rest of the day. I close the door to my office and just stretch around or sit really quietly.

Listen to some music: But remember to keep it upbeat. You're not helping anyone feel better by being mopey. Or watch a movie; again with the upbeat material there. I know that Requiem for a dream is an awesome movie, but it's really really depressing.

Read some poetry: Even write your own, or create something. I like to do this a lot. I'll make cards, write letters, draw a picture, or just make something origami. I am not an origami wizard (far from it), but it distracts me. Sometimes I'll even make lists...since I really like to make them (I love Thursdays anyone?) and normally these "sad" lists are just things that I want to do.

Go to a bar: sometimes you just want a good drink

Dance: I dance around a lot in my room. It feels really stupid sometimes but if you force yourself through the stupid parts you eventually get to enjoy it.
Make faces at nothing and no one: I'm making one right now probably

Pamper yourself. Go brush your teeth (hey! at least you'll have good teeth right?) or just soak in a hot tub with a cup of tea and a good book. Light some candles too if you like or replace the bulb with an dark light, that's always fun.

There are tons of other things that I do when I'm having just a completely horrible day (and one day I'll share more with you), but for now I'm going to go out for a walk myself, to plot about the squirrels and people watch.

No comments: