Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Death Bed...the bed that eats


I've been trying to catch up on some old cult classics, to expand my experience with movies. I came across the other day "death bed". I’m not sure how to explain what makes Death Bed: The Bed That Eats so special, or if I should even try. I certainly didn’t know anything about the film when it was first recommended to me (by some hairy-palmed weirdo lurking around the K.A.T video rental in Clarendon a few years back). Completed in 1977, this “forgotten horror classic” was never officially released. Legend has it that director George Barry had no idea anyone had even seen the picture until he Googled himself and found a bunch of websites raving about it. After 25 years, the company "Cult Epics" finally put it out on DVD.

Death Bed is definitely rave-worthy, but again, I'm at a loss to explain why without taking away some of the mystique. Here’s the overview from Cult Epics:

“At the edge of a grand estate, near a crumbling old mansion lies a strange
stone building with just a single room. In the room, a four-poster bed waits to
absorb the flesh, blood and life essence of unwary travelers…”

So it would seem the title is fairly self-explanatory. And yet there’s more to this story than just OM NOM NOM. Demonic elemental spirits for instance, and Timotei-haired beauties writhing in toxic yellow foam. Also, Aubrey Beardsley’s ghost is trapped in the wall and he won’t shut up.


See, now, I’ve already said too much! At this point, you’re either raring to rent it or you’ve grown bored and are scrolling back to the romantic tuesday column. Either way, I commend you.

No comments: