Monday, February 25, 2008

Weekend Review




Hello everyone. Hope you all had a great weekend, and if you have any interesting stories, by all means let me know. I enjoy a good story now and again. But enough babble; on with it!

Friday-22
It was a snowy and icy day (lots of crashes on the way into the city), and I was walking up the escalators form the metro...when some jerk comes up from behind me and nearly knocks me out of the way as he desperately (for some reason) could seem to wait for a copy of the "express" newspaper that they were handing out at the top. In the process he trips over, not only me, but several other people who were more vocal than I was at his lack of courtesy.

In the process of being pushed over, my heel jammed into a crevice, and I went sliding forward. Somehow I managed to stay upright, but in the process pulled my calf muscle so badly that I could feel the strain immediately. Oh, and just as a side note, a “pulled” muscle used to be believed to be caused by a buildup in acid when the muscle exerts itself. But, it is now proven to be tiny tears in the muscle fiber. These tears then fill up with water and induce swelling, and that’s what’s painful, the movement of free moving water up and down tender tissue. Kinda like when you have a blister from wearing shoes that rub, and then the skin breaks…while you’re in the shower…yeah it hurts. Anyway, I limped all the way to my office and before the end f the day I could barely walk. I supposed to go to a club with some friends that I hadn’t seen in ages, but my calf just hurt too much and I wouldn’t have been able to dance. No point in going to a club if you’re not going to dance. That’s what bars are for.

So instead I took that ancient advice that laughter heals all wounds, and herded a bunch of friends to the DC improv studio. We bought tickets to the Friday night special, which was the Jameson whiskey comedy tour. Along with your ticket for a night full of laughs, you get a free “Jameson cocktail”, so not a bad gig. We arrived all in one piece and sat together in this dark, smokey room ordering out appetizers and drinks. Let me tell you though, the bar tender there…isn’t that great. Anything you ask for will taste like they milked it from the alcoholic cow’s udder. Jameson is generally a smoother whiskey, one that I can handle better than others. I asked for a whiskey sour and got what tasted like whiskey with vodka….not a good combination. Unfortunately there’s a two item order requirement at the dc improv, so it’s a great place if you want to get completely hammered, but other wise not. The food wasn’t that great either.

I’m making it sound like it was a horrible night, and I want to assure it wasn’t. Despite the drinks and the mediocre food, I got a free T-shirt and the comedians were pretty funny. I laughed so hard at some of the jokes that I nearly collapsed out of my chair. The jokes were of course very lewd, but still hilarious. It’s almost refreshing to hear those things said out loud. The comedians also knew how to deal with hecklers and just plain annoying people. There was a gaggle of giggling girls (huh, say that 5 times fast), that were part of a bachlorette party. Personally I am against obvious bachlorette parties. This is not to say that I’m against them at a whole-I fully agree that on your last night as a single/free woman should do anything you want. But, I am against the obnoxious version of the party. For example…the veil? What is up with the veil that says Bachlorette, and has a bunch of miniature penises attached to it? I don’t get it, it’s not funny…it’s not cute. And why is that all of the girls that wear that are loud and have to announce to the world that they are getting married every ten seconds! Congratulations, you’ll drive him crazy…now shut up. These women would should and hoot at anything the comedian said…even if he was telling them to shut up. God…I am embarrassed for them and I apologize on behalf of my sex.

Besides that, it was an amazing night and I enjoyed myself immensely. Even with the penis-lolly-pop waiving, crowd of screaming banshees, I enjoyed myself. I fully suggest that if you like to laugh and don’t mind being in a gritty room, GO TO THE IMPROV!!!!!

Saturday-23
Saturday was a day of biological contemplation. I drove up to Baltimore to see the exhibit “Bodies”. This is the one that was in New York and received great reviews. This German doctor took some bodies (that I must note were donated in life to science) and preserved them so that people could study the body without having to go to an anatomy class. It was amazing. A little creepy at first since everything that was on display once had a conscious thought, but once you get over that…you’re sucked into the world of the human body. And let me tell you what an amazing world it is. It always fascinates me, how among this mess of muscle, bone and flesh we have the ability to create worlds. And, while so complicated we’re so weak in comparison to other fauna. I suggest you go and see it if it ever comes to a museum near you…it’s really quite impressive and you learn so much about yourself. Plus it’s a great guilt tripper, the whole time I was looking at “body x”, with issue y, I kept thinking “man I should I take care of my body more”. And that is actually one of my resolutions. To take care of myself more.

That night though, I was witness to a proud event. One of my friends (by far one of the most socially awkward human beings on the planet) announced that he had a girlfriend…and that she *gasp* slept over. Good for him…he was pretty lonely and needed someone to remind him that not everyone likes to talk about the Air force or how cool some planes are. Not to mention having a girlfriend makes him want to look better and clean up around his house more…a definite improvement!

Sunday-24
Sunday was a lazy day. I cleaned up my little house, and found an ice cream store around my neighborhood. You have no idea how much this excites me, and I have a coupon! I’m saving it for a tough day at work, when I’ll come home and curl up in bed with a bowl of ice cream. I also received moments of inspiration as far as my finances go. I’ve been learning about my FICO and credit scores…and how to try and force my life into some form of sense.
Well that’s my weekend…how was yours? Pray do tell.